Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hubby's Surgery

Hello friends!

Well it is a very exciting time for me in my life right now. Hope all is doing well today! I just have to share my news with everyone.

Here's a back story for people that don't know me (I don't post on here that much). I had my gastric bypass surgery (RNY) 5.5 years ago when health concerns started to arise. At that time, I had a very supportive hubby who was worried for me. He was also overweight but not nearly so much as me - but he had many comorbidities that would have warranted surgery.

Anyway, throughout my process, hubby was nothing less than supportive but he never really wanted to pursue surgery. I always kind of hoped it would be something we'd pursue together and lose weight together but it was never something he felt he needed to do and continued to try to lose weight on his own terms.

Two years later, I was doing great - more active and very busy doing lots of activities outside - walking, hiking, geocaching etc but hubby's mobility was becoming more limited due to his health. I could never convince him to have surgery despite him watching me go through the surgery.

Anyway, a year and a half plus ago, his endocrinologist (Who also happens to run the Windsor Clinic) told him that he NEEDED surgery. He finally started the process. Throughout the process, I've always found he's interested one minute and then not so sure about surgery. (I've always said that until I get him on that table, I'll never quite know if he'll go through with it!). But now he's resolved that this is the change he needs to restart his health. FINALLY!!!!

So now we are in the final stretch of hubby's surgery and he's had his PATS, is doing amazingly well with Optifast and is now committed to surgery! We have been walking together and are making plans to be active when he is post surgery. I get to be his coach. LOL :)

I'm so excited for his new life -- so excited to have a new walking partner in the new year. We've already discussed how we are going to start some 5Ks in the Spring - for him to walk and me to run hopefully! I'm SO EXCITED about having a new life together. It is truly the best Christmas present that I could get this year!

At the same time, a million thoughts are running through my head as he does have many comorbidities and Im worried about his surgery. I am not sleeping well although terribly tired from all this iron issue I'm going through, I can't seem to turn my worries off at all at night.

I could really use your positive thoughts and even a few prayers that everything goes amazingly smooth for him. It's weird being on the other side (not the patient but the supporter) and I'm honestly far more worried about his surgery than I was about my own...but at the same time, I have a TON of faith in Dr. Reed and the amazing staff at Guelph - who have been just phenomenal thus far!

Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment